At KLK Kolb, we want our product solutions to be part of a sustainable, global economy that benefits all people and the environment. We have a long-standing tradition in aligning its strategies and operations with quality, health, safety, and environmental standards. To do this, we constantly strive for an excellent performance in these fields.
Since 2008, we base our R&D activities on the 12 Principles of Green Chemistry:
Moreover, we have been the first one in Europe to introduce surfactants based on sustainable Palm Oil with RSPO Mass Balance certification, the Greenbentin product line. Additionally, many of our products are listed in the DID List and thus can be employed in formulations for Eco Label products.
KLK Kolb's mother company, KLK, is committed to ensuring that its products are produced in a sustainable manner. This is realised through continuous balanced assessment and development of its operations while simultaneously conserving and improving the natural environment, and uplifting the socioeconomic conditions of its employees and local communities. These important aspects are incorporated not only in its daily operations but also in its decision making processes.
More information about KLK and KLK OLEO's commitment to sustainability, guided by integrity, can be found here.
To emphasise the management approach applied to our environmental protection measures and to underline our commitment to the precautionary principle in all our operations, we run a management system which is certified according to ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 and adheres to the standards of ISO 45001 and the Responsible Care Program. Below you can find the most recent certifications of our production sites:
GMP authorised production
Kolb in Hedingen has been authorised by SwissMedic to manufacture and distribute active pharmaceutical ingredients and is subject to regular GMP inspections.
Swissmedic is the Swiss Agency for the licensing and monitoring of therapeutic products.
Several products of Kolb are Halal certified. Contact Mr. Christoph Häusler, Product Manager, for more information.
Several products of Kolb are Kosher certified. Contact Mr. Pietro Alfarano , Product Manager, for more information.
Kolb in Hedingen and Moerdijk has been cerfied according GMP+ for the production of ingredients for animal feed. Browse our Performance Chemicals section for further information.
The Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) was established in 2004 with the objective of promoting the growth and use of sustainable palm oil products through credible global standards and engagement of stakeholders.
KLK is one of the founding members of RSPO and fully committed to the ongoing journey to a 100 % sustainability standard for palm (kernel) oil derivatives. This means reaching the equilibrium of environmental priorities, social equity, and surging economic demands. Sustainability is an ongoing journey and it is challenging especially in the palm oil supply chain due to the involvement of multiple stakeholders. Progress is reported by KLK through their website.
The production sites of Emmerich (DE), Düsseldorf (DE), Delden (NL), Moerdijk (NL), Ougrée (BE), and Hedingen (CH) are all RSPO certified, which means we are able to verify sustainable palm oil at every step of the supply chain. It is an advantage to have the complete oleochemical supply chain under one roof, not only for us, but also for our customers. KLK runs its plantations according the RSPO’s Principles & Criteria and even goes beyond RSPO. Every global brand is protecting the very integrity for its end-products and is thus pledging for traceability to a trustworthy source. With KLK, our customers have the choice to buy broad range of products that are certified for sustainability, from workhorses to specialties.
In the years to come, the demand for sustainable products will grow. Our customers will profit from the backwards integration up to the KLK plantations allowing for a secure supply of certified sustainable raw materials.
RSPO Mass Balance model
RSPO Segregated model
The EU Ecolabel is a voluntary scheme, established in 1992 to encourage business to market products and services that are kinder to the environment. The EU Ecolabel covers a broad product range including the following home care and I&I groups:
- All-purpose cleaners and sanitary cleaners
- Detergents for dishwashers
- Industrial and institutional automatic dishwasher detergents
- Hand dishwashing detergents
- Laundry detergents
- Industrial and institutional laundry detergents
In order to use a nonionic surfactant for Ecolabel products either a DID-list assignment is necessary or data about the aquatic toxicity and biodegradability is required.
Request the document with the necessary information to support the use of our surfactants in your Ecolabel products.
CEFAS Gold Ranking
We are pleased to inform you that we received a gold ranking for Hedipin-R/050 from Cefas.
Gold is the best possible classification from CEFAS and means that our product features the lowest hazard by passing the necessary tests successfully.
Thanks to our Hedipin-R/050 our customers will be able to promote their end products (detergents) with the gold ranking as well.
- Favoured W/O emulsifier for mineral oils
- Excellent dispersing and solubilizing properties
- Exceptional properties at low temperature
- Enhances cleaning performance due to synergistic structure-performance interaction
- Compatible with other nonionic/anionic surfactants
- Water solubility can be achieved by adding solvents (Guide formulation available on request)
- Hedipin-R/050 is based on 80% renewable raw material
Contact us to get more information on how you could use our Hedipin and make your detergent CEFAS gold too!
REACh and CLP regulations, SVHC
REACh EC 1907/2006 (Registration, Evaluation, Authorization and restriction of Chemical substances) entered into force on 1st June 2007 with the goal to minimize the risks of chemicals to the human health and to the environment.
Our three production sites Kolb Hedingen (CH), Kolb Moerdijk (NL) and Kolb Specialties Delden (NL) are fully committed to REACh in their role as manufacturer, importer and downstream user. Kolb Moerdijk (NL) is appointed to the only-representative for Kolb Hedingen (CH) to fulfill all REACh obligations towards the European Chemical Agency ECHA.
Following exemplary measures ensure our compliance to REACh:
- we successfully completed the last registration phase by end of May, 2018 for all our chemical products;
- we ensure REACh compliance of imports and re-imports, e.g. of reactants and monomers in our polymers, any other substances we use, by close contact with our suppliers;
- we are in close contact with our customers and answer their regulatory requests;
- our SDS comply with the CLP regulation EC 1272/2008 (Classification, Labelling and Packaging) requirements and are regularly up-dated upon new (eco-)toxicological information;
- we communicate actively with our customers in case any changes under REACH/CLP affects our products, e.g. new inclusions into SVHC candidate list, Annex XIV (“authorization list”) or Annex XVII (“restricted substances”), new classifications or labellings;
- we regularly carry out volume tracking of our registered products concerning manufactured tonnage level and imports into EEA/EU;
- we are active member of the Alcohol Ethoxylate consortium and in close contact to other consortia to ensure timely implementations of new ECHA requirements concerning our products;
Achievements and partnerships
We are active members of the global industry community, exchanging our knowledge and expertise with our fellow industry players.
During the years, we also collected several achievements, that crown our efforts in sustainability, responsible and ethical business practices, and CO2 reduction.