KLK Kolb is one of the leading alkoxylation companies in Europe and offers a wide range of surfactants, chemical specialties, paper process chemicals and customer-specific products for various industries.
KLK Kolb is a member of the KLK Europe group which has several manufacturing sites in Europe: Hedingen/CH, Moerdijk/NL, Delden/NL, Tensachem/BE, Düsseldorf/DE and Emmerich/DE. KLK Kolb employs approximately 480 employees.
Our R&D department for KLK Europe is centralized in Delden/NL.
To support our continued successful growth, the R&D department of KLK Europe is seeking a
R&D Chemist Biocatalysis (1 fte)
Are you an enthusiastic, proactive and collaborative chemist with interest in biocatalysis and/or sustainability? Join, then, our R&D department in Delden to contribute to the realization of research projects within biocatalysis. The key task involves the synthesis of molecules (e.g. oleochemicals) by means of biocatalysis and organic synthesis. You will also carry out reaction work-up, analyse reactants and products and characterize enzymes.
Location and position
You will be part of KLK R&D department of KLK Europe in Delden (NL) which consists of 20 FTEs. As a R&D Chemist Biocatalysis you will be responsible for the execution of biocatalysis reactions focused on research projects for KLK Europe. You will report to the Biocatalysis Scientist and be part of the R&D Specialties team. You will interact with other scientists, chemists and analysts within a multidisciplinary international group.
- Perform bio-catalysed reactions from g to kg scale, including reaction work-up (downstream processing)
- Perform organic syntheses of precursors for the biocatalytic steps
- Adapt experimental protocols for scale-up and scale-down requirements
- Translate research questions from internal and external parties to practical experiments
- Analyse reactants and products and characterize enzymes (e.g. acid value, enzyme activity assays)
- Interpret and report research data and results
- Provide advice on (technological) problems and deviations by troubleshooting or problem solving approach
- Interact with other teams to ensure efficient cross-team workflows
- Follow Health and Safety guidelines
As a candidate you have the following knowledge, experience and skills
- Completed university education (Batchelor’s degree) or the equivalent to the Dutch HBO education in the field of Chemistry or Biotechnology/Life Sciences
- Experience and knowledge in conducting chemical reactions, organic synthesis, bio-catalysed reactions, enzyme activity assays, reaction work-up and down steam processing (separation technologies)
- Knowledge in interpreting HPLC, GC and other analysis
- Relevant industrial experience is an advantage
- Fluent in written and spoken English is a must, speaking Dutch is an advantage
- Enthusiastic, proactive, structured and quick learner
- Ability to work independently, but also function as part of a team
- Versatile and able to perform under pressure
- Committed and reliable
- Opportunity to work on the development and realization of sustainable processes
- Open, dynamic and stimulating working atmosphere in an international industrial environment
- Sustainable employability with opportunities for personal development, healthy working & living programs, sporting on site
- Full time position
For more information about the position please contact Andrada But, Biocatalysis Scientist KLK Kolb (email@example.com, +31 74 3775 341).
Candidates who meet the described profile can send a motivation letter with CV before the 2nd of September 2022 to the attention of Karin Broeders, Recruiter (firstname.lastname@example.org).
An assessment can be part of the application procedure.